Monday, April 7, 2008

New Zealand and Australia

I lived in NZ for seven years. The people of NZ are very friendly and kind.Last Christmas my children and I went to NZ to visit my husband.

Sometimes my son wanted to go to the library so I took him to my local library.I didn't have a library card so every time my son just read in the library. One time I tried to ask the library staff 'can I be given a library card?' She told me that I needed a rates or electricity bill .Just anything addressed to you here in the local area.I said I didn't have anything. She asked me again 'Do you rent or own a house?'I own a house but it is under my husband's name. She said 'Don't worry'. I told her my husband's name, birthday and my address. She gave my information to a person who was a council worker. The council worker entered my information in the computer. My information was all right. So the librarian gave me a library card at once. I felt that they were really trying to help me.

By the way, I will also talk about my feelings when I just came to Australia. When I went shopping in my county or NZ, nobody checked my bags. In Australia, when I went shopping, the shop assisant checked my bags. I felt very bad as if I wasn't being respected. After, I realised that they are authorized to check anyone's shopping bag or big bags, but they can't check the customer's handbag. Last Thursday evening, I went to Priceline in Hurstville train station, where my daughter does part-time work. I just told her 'I'll pick you up, I'll go to Coles first.' Then I went out. The security guard who stood out the door checked my handbag. Althought I showed my handbag to him I was very angry. I said you shouldn't check my handbag. At the time I thought I would complain about him to his manager. the next day, I took my son to play basketball in Hurstville Aquatic centre. I met my friend who had studied the Retail course. I told her about the day before. She said if your handbag was over A4, they are authorised to check your handbag. My handbag is over A4, so he checked my handbag. Now I am not angry.

No comments: