Monday, March 17, 2008



My First Day in Australia


I was excited to go to Australia with my children, my sister and her children on 14 February 2001. I arrived to Australia during dusk. When I went out from the airport, I felt hot and humid. My brother-in-law picked us up. He came to Australia one week before us. He took us to his unit, which he had rented one week before.

We talked about the difference between NZ and Australia on the way home. I saw the streets were very narrow, many houses were made with tiles. There were many units in Australia, and here transport is convenient. After about 30 mins we arrived home. We organized our sleeping area, and discussed our plans for the future. We were excited about our new life. We didn’t sleep until very late.

I knew I would do many things a few days later. Such as, my children would enrol in school, rent a house, go to the bank, apply for a tax number, and receive our shipment…. I was very happy to do these because this was the start of our new life. I hoped my children would have a better education and future in Australia.

2 comments:

rosa ochoa said...

HOw long did you live in New Zealand, Li? Is it all that different from Australia? I've enever been there, but I imagine it to be a bit more relaxed than this...

Li said...

hi rosa

I had lived in NZ for seven years. The people of NZ are very friendly and kindly.Last Christmans my children and I went to NZ to visit my husband. Sometimes my son wanted to go to the library so I took him to my local library.I didn't have a library card so every time my son just read in the library. One time I tried to ask the library staff 'can I give a library card?' She told me that I needed a rates or electricity bill .Just anything addressed to you here in the local area. I didn't have anything I said. She asked me again 'Do you rent or own a house?'I own a house but it is under my husband's name. She said 'Don't worry'. I told her my husband's name, birthday and my address. She gave my information to the person who was council worker. The council worker entered my information to the computer. My information was all right. So librarian gave me a library card once. I felt that they were trying to help me.

By the way, I will talk about I just came to Australia's feeling. When I went shopping in my county or NZ, Nobody checked my bags. In Australia, when I went shopping, the shop assisant checked my bags. I felt very bad and hadn't get respect. After, I realised that they are authorized to check anyone's bag but they can't check the customer's handbag. Last thursday evening, I went to the Priceline in the Hurstville train station, which my daughter does part-time work in there. I just talked to her 'I pick you up, I go to the Coles first.' Then I go out. The security guard who stood out the door checked my handbag. Althought I showed my handbag to him I was very angry. I said you shouldn't check my handbag. At the time I thought I would complain him to his manager. Next day, I took my son to play basketball in Hurstville Aquatic centre. I met my frind who had studied the Retail
course. I told her about yesteday. She said if your handbag was over A4, they are authorised to check your handbag. My handbag is over A4, so he checked my handbag. Now I am not angry.